Thursday, February 18, 2016

New Year, New Adventures


Hello all, it's so nice to be back! I have had a busy couple of months and I'm excited to re-connect with my wonderful community. It took a lot of energy (both physical and mental) to wrap up closing the shop, and there is still a bit of work to do. 

I have also been taking classes at Pasadena City College to finish my degree in fashion, and have been being a teacher's assistant for their intro class (where students first learn how to use industrial machines) and for the first level patternmaking class. It's been amazing, and confirms my decision to work towards being a college level instructor.

Illustration Class

Draping class

Getting my degree will take a few years, and in the interim I'll be working on Sew L.A. patterns, writing, teaching sewing classes locally (Craftcation!) and offering the occasional private lesson.   

Speaking of which... I have some availability for lessons now through mid-March. I'd LOVE to see students again and help out with whatever you are working on! I have listed days and times below, and it looks like I'll be able to list March dates in a week or so. I'm expecting to be full-time busy by mid-March, so now is a great time to take advantage of me ; )

Feel free to email shaeriesews (at) gmail.com if you have any specific questions before committing to a time. The times listed are pretty solid, but some days might have a little more wiggle room - it doesn't hurt to ask! And if you don't have something specific in mind, I'll be happy to talk to you about projects and supplies - that's included in your lesson.


PRIVATE LESSONS AVAILABLE:

Friday 2/19 from 7 - 9pm

Saturday 2/20 from 2 - 4pm and from 5 - 7pm

Sunday 2/21 from 7 - 9pm

Monday 2/22 from 3 - 5pm

Tuesday 2/23 from 7 - 9pm

Weds 2/24 from 10 - noon and from 1 - 3pm

THE INFO: 

- These lessons are $45 per hour, just like before. Since I'll be traveling, there's a 2 hour minimum but if you'd like a longer lesson just let me know via your initial email. 

- To book a time listed above, email me at shaeriesews (at) gmail.com. First come, first served - so you will get a reply from me confirming your date and time before being booked. 

- I'll come to your house with basic tools, an iron and travel board (if needed) and we'll work on whatever project you have in mind. A $5 gas fee will apply if you are located more than 10 miles from my house in Glassell Park (90065). And please do not worry about what your house looks like. As long as there is some table space to sew your dishes will not bother me! 

- Included in your lesson is a conversation about your project, recommendations for projects and where to get supplies.

- If I know you, you can pay me at the lesson with cash, check or credit card, or through Paypal. If you are a new student, I'll bill you in advance through Paypal, and the lesson will be booked after payment.

- Reschedule / refunds: Since I have a kid, a lot of homework, a partner with a crazy schedule and other teaching commitments, PLEASE reschedule with me 24 hours in advance if needed. Rescheduling within 24 hours will incur a one hour charge ($45) unless there's a life-or-death emergency involving hospitals - but if you let me know and I can fill your spot with someone from the wait list there will be no charge.

- I assume you know that you'll be working with sharp tools, hot irons and machinery and that you are doing so at your own risk. By booking a lesson with me, you agree that I am not responsible for your safety. But of course I will do my best to show you the safest way to create beautiful projects!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -  please email me with any questions! shaeriesews (at) gmail.com




In other news, I have an article in the latest issue of Seamwork Magazine and you can read it here! It's all about how I found my best path with sewing well, and it includes some tips for everyone. I'd love to know what you think!




1 comment:

Joy C said...

Just found you via the article in Seamwork which I loved! Can't wait to dig into the archives here.

Thanks so much for the honesty in your article. I had a solopreneur biz and can relate to much of what you said.